Can’t Find what you’re looking for? Try Google Search!

Translate

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Quit Cigarette Smoking~The Health Benefits of Stopping Smoking

Quit Cigarette Smoking~The Health Benefits of Stopping Smoking

When it comes to stopping smoking, every smoker will experience their own set of benefits. These benefits will be determined by a number of factors, such as the how long they have smoked, how much they smoked a day, their lifestyle etc.

The benefits I experienced from stopping (and are still experiencing today), may be a lot different to yours. I would like to tell you about the four main benefits I experienced, some of them may relate to you.

I smoked a pouch of tobacco a week for about 6 years and have a very active lifestyle.

My health has markedly improved.

A few years into my habit, I picked up quite a nasty smokers cough. This cough was particularly bad in the mornings. I would be the first to get up for work and would then proceed to wake everyone up with a cough that would shake the whole house. Within weeks of me stopping smoking this cough had disappeared.

While I was smoking I also had plenty of days off work because I was always picking up whatever bug was going around. I guess my immune system had been weakened from the smoking. Since I stopped I’ve hardly has a sick day at all.

I am no longer embarrassed around my friends and family.

I was always embarrassed by my smoking habit as most of my friends and family don’t smoke. It took me a long time to admit to my family I smoked, and I never felt comfortable smoking around them, or my non-smoking friends. I know they all wondered why I was doing it and they were worried for me.

I no longer have worry about being embarrassed, stinking of cigarette smoke around them or endangering their health with my second hand smoke.

My sport and fitness has improved.

I have always played a lot of sport and my performance suffered while I was smoking. I would get breathless very easily and my fitness was lacking. Worst of all I would lose focus while I was playing because the nicotine craving would hit me and all I wanted to do was get off the field as quickly as possible and have a cigarette.

Now that never happens, all my focus is on the game at hand. My breathlessness is also gone and fitness levels have improved drastically, improving my overall performance.

No more yellow teeth and fingers.

I think we can all relate to this one. Boy I used to be embarrassed by these. I had a terrible case of yellow teeth and I also had these brown marks but I could never figure out what caused them. I now know they were from the smoking because they went away after I stopped. I used to use the expensive tooth whitening toothpastes but they never worked to remove either the yellow tinge or brown markings because I just kept on smoking.

As for the yellow nicotine fingers, gee they used to frustrate me. You could see them from a mile away, and I could never get rid of the stains not matter what I used or how hard I scrubbed. After I stopped smoking they just went away naturally over a few weeks. I am so glad to finally be rid of the nicotine fingers because I hated being constantly reminded of how bad they looked every time I looked down at my hands.

Those are the four main benefits I experienced once I stopped smoking. Yours may be similar or they could be totally different. If you are having a bit of trouble stopping smoking or keeping stopped then write down all the benefits that you think you are likely to get from stopping.

Keep this list with you at all times and whenever you feel the need to smoke take that list out and read it. It may be that extra bit of motivation you need not to light up.

Quit Cigarette Smoking~The Health Benefits of Stopping Smoking

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is easy to say quitting smoking is easy, but it is a tough task in reality. Quitting smoking is hard because of the nicotine. It is a drug found naturally in tobacco and it is as highly addictive as heroin or cocaine. Studies shows that smokers must deal with both the physical and psychological dependence to quit and stay quit. Visit: http://smokingharms.com/ to know more about smoking and how to quit smoking.